September 29, 2008

Welcome to Uganda

I’ve hit the ground running here in my first few weeks in Uganda. I had had a hectic week preparing before leaving the UK and on my arrival I managed a couple of relaxing days at the Hairy Lemon before starting work. I’ve been helping out with Love it Live it; being trained up by Sam Ward and Will Clark as a river guide here on the White Nile. We’ve just finished a two week advanced white water trip; they’ve been a great bunch to paddle with and it’s been cool to be able to boat lots of different stuff in what is just the very beginning of my stay here. As well as plenty of sessions on the Club and Nile Special waves, we spent time running the Silverback section up at the top of the river, paddling down the day one stretch with the rafts and boating to the Hairy Lemon along the day two rapids. Also we headed over up to two of the lesser known back channels; Blade Runner and Escape Hatch. I hadn’t run these before and am glad I’ve had the opportunity (and will hopefully get in a few more) as the Bujagali Dam project is progressing fast and will soon have an impact on the whole top section.

I’ve also landed myself another job here; working behind the bar at the Hairy Lemon It’s a sweet set up, sessioning club wave in the morning, nile special in the afternoon then working in the evening. I’ve still got a bit of a bad shoulder going on (from Prague about six weeks ago) but it’s getting better and I’ve been able to enjoy getting back into big wave paddling and work on new things. Living on the island paradise is an awesome environment to learn in. Also there’s usually a good bunch of people to paddle with too. Already I've seen a ton of British paddlers come and go. I'm in Kampala today enjoying the delights of fast internet. So fingers crossed there should be some pictures at the bottom of this post:


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Uganda has substantial natural resources, including fertile soils, regular rainfall, and sizable mineral deposits of copper and cobalt. The country has largely untapped reserves of both crude oil and natural gas. Agriculture is the most important sector of the economy, employing over 80% of the work force, with coffee accounting for the bulk of export revenues.


-------------------------
hesslei...........

buzz marketing

 

Twitter

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive